President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Tuesday targeting a major law firm, based in Chicago, who previously worked Andrew Weissman, who worked on the team of Special Counselor Robert Muller to investigate the Russian intervention suspected of the 2016 Trump election campaign.
The executive order is called Jenner & Block. It aims to investigate security permits in the law firm and government contracts and access to federal buildings. He claims Jenner & Block “participates in clear partisan representations to achieve political ends.”
Weissman was a partner at Jenner & Block from 2006 to 2011, and again from 2020 to 2021.
He served as the main public prosecutor from 2017 to 2019 in the team of Special Adviser Muller, who achieved the potential Russian intervention in the 2016 presidential elections and any complicity with Trump's campaign partners. Trump has continuously described the investigation as “the witch chase.”
“Jenner & Block had a long history representing customers, paid and bono, on their most difficult issues since 1914,” Jenner & Block spokesman said in a statement. “Today, we were called an executive order similar to an edition that was already announced unconstitutional by a federal court. We are still focusing on service and protecting the interests of our customers with dedication, integrity and experiences that have identified our company for more than a hundred years and we will follow all the appropriate circles.”
Weissman was a 15 -year -old federal prosecutor, held the position of General Adviser to the Federal Investigation Office for a period of three years and taught criminal law in many universities. He also participated in hosting a podcast entitled “The main justice”, which was titled “Donald Trump's trial”.
Chris Gayer, a former American lawyer and has now become a defense lawyer recently for the former alds. Ed Burke and Patrick Dali Thompson called the executive order “starkly illegal.”
“It is unconstitutional restrictions on Jenner's right to freedom of expression.”
“It is stupid because the things he cited about Andrew Weissman all happened after Weissman left Jenner,” said Jayer. “I hope that Jenner has the courage to stand and fight.”
The executive order on Tuesday, targeting Jenner & Block, follows similar orders in recent weeks that prevent other strong law firms that have challenged Trump or have relationships with the issues involved.
This month, the American boycott judge, Berell Huil, prevented parts of Trump's executive order that sought punitive measures against the law firm in Seattle Birkins Koy, who worked with the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign in 2016.
Since then, the Trump administration has pushed back against the command of the temporary judge, as the Ministry of Justice has been trying to remove Haul, a judge from Obama, to supervise the Perkins Koy case.
Last week, Trump canceled a similar executive targeting the prominent law office, Weiss, Rivation, Jarison Warton, after a deal with Trump was concluded to review employment practices and provide millions of dollars in free legal services to support initiatives in the White House.
This was the former executive Paul, the lawyer of Weiss Mark Boomiranez, who participated in an investigation by the Public Prosecutor's Office in Manhattan Province in Trump's funds.
Brad Carb, Paul's president, told his colleagues in an email that he concluded the deal with Trump to avoid the consequences of the executive order because “our company could easily destroy.”
Contribution: Associated Press